Bread Video Featuring How to Make Basic Sandwich Bread and Buns
Welcome to my virtual kitchen! In this bread video I'll demonstrate how to make basic sandwich bread. This is the first recipe featured in my book, “Never Buy Bread Again”, and is also available to newsletter subscribers in printable pdf format. You can also find it on the site in the post, “Sloppy Joes with Homemade Buns“.
A single batch of dough makes one large loaf or two smaller loaves, so I usually make a double batch. This makes three mid-sized loaves. We keep one out and freeze the other two. Sometimes I'll make one loaf and a pan of hamburger buns, or a mix of other buns. Bread loaves bake at 350 F for around 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Buns of all sizes bake at 375 F for 13-15 minutes.
Bread Video – Basic Sandwich Bread and Buns
If you have any questions or would be interested in additional videos, please leave a comment below.
Bread Baking Tips to Remember
- Make sure your yeast is fresh. If using active dry yeast instead of instant yeast (featured in the video), proof in 1 cup of the warm water before adding to dough.
- Water should be warm, not hot. Water that is too hot will kill the yeast.
- Fresh Yeast + Warm Ingredients = Faster Rise Time
- If your kitchen is cold, you can preheat the oven and place the bread dough near it to rise. You may also set your dough bowl into a large bowl of warm water, or place it on a heating pad.
- Grease or line baking pans before using.
- Don't let bread rise to “finished size” before you put it in the oven. Bread will rise a little more as it bakes. If you put it in the oven fully risen, it may collapse.
- When baking is done, tops should be golden brown and bottoms will be medium brown.
- Brush baked bread with melted butter for a softer crust.
Related Bread Posts
Purchase the Never Buy Bread Again Book
Easy Sourdough Bread Recipe from Starter, Plus Sourdough Starter Tips
Best Ever Cornbread Recipes – Northern and Southern Style