Once you taste the goodness of from scratch cooking, you will never want to go back to the can. This cream of mushroom soup recipe is no exception.
I'll share an easy recipe to make homemade cream of mushroom soup with gluten free and dairy free alternatives.
- Why we started making our own Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Is Condensed Mushroom Soup the Same As Cream of Mushroom Soup?
- How Do You Make Cream of Mushroom Soup From Scratch?
- Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe or Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Why we started making our own Cream of Mushroom Soup
Like many families, we deal with food allergies and sensitivities. The commercial condensed cream of mushroom soup we used to use made us feel unwell.
WATER, MUSHROOMS, CANOLA OR SOYBEAN OIL, WHEAT FLOUR, CREAM, CORNSTARCH, SALT, MODIFIED MILK INGREDIENTS, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, TOMATO PASTE, SPICE EXTRACT, BARLEY YEAST EXTRACT AND DEHYDRATED GARLIC.
MSG triggers bad headaches, hives, very swollen lips, eyes, and face for my daughter and me. (See MSG- Making You Sicker and Fatter for more information.) Two family members don't tolerate gluten.
We are also avoiding soy, as my mother has breast cancer and has reduced her soy consumption.
Is Condensed Mushroom Soup the Same As Cream of Mushroom Soup?
Condensed cream of mushroom soup is thicker than finished cream of mushroom soup. You usually add a liquid, such as milk or water, before you consume it as a soup.
Most recipes that call for “cream of mushroom soup” are referring to the condensed version.
Soup that is not labeled as “condensed”, is likely ready to heat and serve.
With our recipe, you can make it thicker or thinner by reducing the liquid or adding more, depending on your needs.
How Do You Make Cream of Mushroom Soup From Scratch?
Thankfully, making Cream of Mushroom Soup from scratch is pretty simple. With the exception of mushrooms, the other ingredients are common staples in our kitchen.
Once you're comfortable with the basic recipe, you can adjust the ingredients to take the flavor to the next level.
For example, you can add bacon, thyme, shallots, or use different mushrooms for the button mushrooms, like portabella or shitake.
Print Friendly RecipePrint
Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe or Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
This easy cream of mushroom soup recipe uses common pantry ingredients to make a delicious savory soup. Reduce the liquid to make condensed cream of soup for use in other recipes. Includes Gluten Free and Dairy Free Options.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: soup
- 8 oz. Button Mushrooms
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves fresh garlic – chopped
- 1 medium onion – Diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tsp fine ground sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Over medium high heat, melt butter in skillet and sauté onions, mushrooms, and garlic until onions are tender.
- Add salt and pepper
- Stir in flour and coat mushroom mix.
- Reduce heat to medium
- Add in the milk and heavy cream 1/2 cup at a time while stirring to incorporate.
- Add the remaining milk and cream stirring well and let this boil until the desired thickness is reached.
- Bring to boil stirring consistently.
- Reduce heat and continue to cook for five minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for later use.
For gluten free cream of mushroom soup:
Substitute 1/4 cup corn starch or arrowroot powder for the flour.
For a dairy free cream of mushroom soup:
Substitute 3 cups Almond Milk, Oat Milk, Rice Milk or another non-dairy milk replacement for the milk and heavy cream.
*The amount needed may vary depending on which plant based milk you use. Follow the 1/2 cup at a time instruction and you should receive desired results.
Keywords: mushrooms, cream based soup
Tips for Using Your Soup
This is such an easy comfort food to make that I rarely make it ahead of time. I just whip it up right before I have to use it.
- You can use: water, milk, vegetable stock, chicken stock, mushroom broth, or chicken broth to thin for soup consistency.
- You can substitute fresh mushrooms for dehydrated mushrooms
- Use more heavy cream, milk, or other liquid to make a thinner soup
- This recipe can easily be adapted to whatever amount of soup you need, just increase the ingredients as desired.
- For a smooth soup, puree with an immersion blender.
- The soup will keep in the refrigerator for a week to ten days. I store mine in a glass jar.
What Goes With Cream of Mushroom Soup?
Cream of mushroom soup pairs well with a sandwich or salad for a meal. For those not avoiding gluten, our crusty French bread is a good compliment to the creamy soup.
It also melds well with many different dishes, from hash brown casserole to Mom's famous Shepard's Pie.
Some of my favorite recipes that use cream of mushroom soup include:
- Ground Beef and Wild Rice Casserole ~ Common Sense Home
- Dutch Oven Pot Roast ~ recipe coming soon
- The Best Crock Pot Swedish Meatballs ~ The Country Cook
- Easy Mushroom Stroganoff ~ Spend With Pennies
- Classic Green Bean Casserole ~ Stacy Lyn Harris
Green bean casserole is best when made with fresh garden green beans. Learn to Grow Pole Beans on a Trellis for Easy Picking and Preserving.
There is no comparing the stuff that comes out of the can to this homemade recipe. Once you try it, I guarantee it will become your famous “secret ingredient”.
More Made from Scratch Recipes
We have over 100 recipes on the website, from snacks to dessert. You can find them all, sorted by category, on the Recipes and Kitchen Tips page.
- Easy Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- Chicken and Gnocchi Soup (Olive Garden Copycat, with Gluten Free Option)
- Toscana Soup (Olive Garden Copycat)
This post is by Amber Bradshaw of My Homestead Life.
Amber and her family moved from their tiny homestead by the ocean in South Carolina to forty-six acres in the Smoky Mountains in East Tennessee.