Broccoli salad is one of the few salads I'd occasionally pick up at the deli, but it's amazing how much better it tastes when you make it at home with really fresh ingredients. I served some of this up for my extended family at Easter, and my brother said it was so good he wanted to eat the whole batch.Print
Broccoli, Bacon and Cheese Salad Recipe
- 3-4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red or sweet onion
- 8 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled (preferably nitrate free and responsibly raised)
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds (preferably crispy style, like these walnuts)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (homemade is great if you have it)
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 2 teaspoons to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
In a large bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, onion, bacon and sunflower seeds. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sugar (or honey) and lemon juice. The original recipe I had used two teaspoons, but I accidentally used two tablespoons once and it was quite tasty.
Mix dressing well and allow it to stand refrigerated for an hour or so. Just before serving, stir dressing well and pour over salad ingredients. Toss to coat. If your refrigerator space is tight, go ahead and mix the other ingredients with the dressing and place them together in the fridge. It's fine either way. If you like things a little sweeter, throw in some dried cranberries or cherries and use less lemon.
Makes 9 (1/2 cup) servings.
You may also enjoy:
- Homemade Broccoli Soup
- Summer Squash Gummy Candies sweetened with fruit juice
- Honey-Sweetened Lemonade with Honey-Lemon Ice Cubes