Rose Hip Jelly from Wild or Garden Roses
This small batch rose hip jelly is a unique treat. Rose hips are naturally high in vitamin C, and this is a delicious way to enjoy them.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Four 4 ounce jars 1x
- Category: Jelly
- 1 pound of ripe rose hips (about 4 cups when cleaned)
- water (enough to cover)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons calcium water (included with Pomona’s Pectin)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Pomona’s pectin powder
- Prepare your jars, lids, and rings. Fill water bath canner with water and heat it. Sterilize your jars.
- Wash rose hips and remove stems and calyx. Place hips in a medium non-reactive sauce pan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 7 to 15 minutes, until hips are soft, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and mash hips.
- Place mashed hips into a jelly bag or flour sack towel. Hang bag or towel over a bowel, and allow juice to drip until you have 2 cups of juice. Compost pulp or feed to chickens.
- Add two cups of juice into a medium saucepan with lemon juice and calcium water. Mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and pectin powder. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Bring rose hip juice mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Add sugar-pectin mixture, stirring constantly, until sugar is completely dissolved. Bring jelly to a rolling boil for one minute. Remove from heat.
- Ladle jelly into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rims with a damp cloth. Put on lid and ring, tighten to finger tight.
- Lower jars into canner, making sure they are covered with at least 1-2 inches of water. Place lid on canner, return to boil. Process jars for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Remove jars from canner and place on a kitchen towel on the counter top. Allow to cool for 8 – 24 hours.
- Check seals. Remove rings, date, label and store your rose hip jelly in a cool, dry location.
Keywords: rose hips, jelly, preserving, fruit