Chicken and Gnocchi Soup (Olive Garden Copycat)
A rich, creamy soup loaded with chicken, vegetables and homemade gnocchi.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 1/3 cup butter or olive oil
- 2–3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb. chicken cubed or large chunks
- 1/3 cup flour OR 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2–3 carrots, shredded or finely chopped
- 2–3 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen spinach or kale, torn in pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1–2 cups whole milk (optional, if you prefer a thinner soup)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp curry powder
- about one pound of gnocchi, fresh or frozen (choose one recipe from below)
- 1/4 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
- About 1/4 cup flour (see note below)
- 1 egg
- A pinch of salt
Gluten Free Gnocchi
- 10 ounces Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 Tbsp white rice flour
- 3 Tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- If using freshly cooked potatoes to make your gnocchi, steam them before starting the rest of the recipe so they have time to cool.
- Melt butter or oil in a large Dutch oven or stock pot. Add in the garlic and onions and sauté for five minutes. Add chicken and cook thoroughly.
- Add flour (or cornstarch for gluten free option) and mix well until the flour/cornstarch is cooked into the chicken.
- Next add chicken broth. Mix well, cook for a few minutes, and then add the veggies (Carrots, Celery, and Spinach). Cook for about 5 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, finish preparing the gnocchi of your choice.
- Bring the broth to a gentle boil, add gnocchi a handful at a time and cook for about 3 minutes. Stir and then add the next handful of gnocchi. Repeat until all gnocchi have been added.
- Reduce heat and add cream, milk, curry and pepper. Mix ingredients well. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot with a side salad and some freshly baked French bread.
- Steam potato chunks around 20 minutes, until fork tender. Mash well or run through a potato ricer. Allow to cool.
- Add salt and egg. Gently mix in flour or mix of flours with a fork. Knead dough on counter to finish, adding enough flour/flour mix to make a smooth, non-sticky dough.
- Separate dough into four parts. Roll each section into a rope about as thick as your finger. Cut into 3/4 inch slices.
Keywords: gnocchi, cream soup, chicken, comfort food