Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin
This rich and creamy side dish gives you the comfort food taste you love without a ton of carbs.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 75 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 15 servings
- Category: side dish
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (divided)
- 1 1/2 – 2 teaspoons sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Cook your spaghetti squash. Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and pulp. Place squash cut side down in a large baking dish or roasting pan. Add water to cover bottom of pan. Place pan in oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- While the squash is baking, prep the rest of the ingredients. Shred the cheese. Set 1/2 cup of cheese aside.
- Chop the onions and saute them in the butter until translucent.
- Stir salt, pepper and nutmeg into the onions.
- Remove the squash from the oven and allow it too cool enough so that you can handle it. Shred the flesh of the spaghetti squash with a fork. Turn oven temp up to 375°F.
- Add the squash, sour cream and 3/4 cup of shredded cheese to the onion mix. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Spread the squash mixture into a 9×13 baking dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Place pan in preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until top is lightly brown and cheese is bubbling.
- Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Cook time includes initial baking time for squash. If you have an Instant Pot or similar pressure cooker, you can prep the squash in that cooker. Slice in half and remove seeds and pulp. Place a rack and one cup of water in the bottom of the pot. Close lid and cook the squash on High for 7 minutes. Carefully vent the cooker and test squash for doneness. Proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Keywords: spaghetti squash, au gratin, cheese, low carb