Bavarian Cream Bonnet
This Vanilla Cream Easter Bonnet Dessert is light and creamy. It’s best made a day ahead and decorated with fresh fruit and sweetened whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2–1/4 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- sweetened whipped cream, fruit roll-ups and fresh fruit for decoration
- In a medium sauce pan, blend sugar, gelatin and salt, milk and egg yolks. Let stand for 1 minute.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until mixture comes to a boil and starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and cool until chilled but not set (about 1 hour). Mixture should mound slightly when dropped from spoon.
- Fold in whipped cream and vanilla. Pour into well buttered 1 quart mold (or bowl or 8 inch round cake pan). Chill until firm, about 4 hours, or overnight.
- Unmold on large serving platter. Garnish with sweetened whipped cream, fresh fruit and fruit roll up, if desired.
Note: Recipe requires at least four hours chilling for the gelatin to set, so plan ahead. You can make it the day before and decorate the next day.
If dessert does not easily release from mold, dip the mold in hot water for a few seconds to loosen and try again.
Keywords: Easter, chilled cream, special occasion, fruit